Sunday 23 March 2014

100km week and No Legs!!!



This week I have managed to pile the most kilometers within 7days – 100kms to be exact. This was accomplished as follows:-
22nd March, 2014: 23kms on Kangundo road in 1:44.28 – 13.21km/hr
20th March, 2014: 22kms from Kindaruma road (office) to the house in 1:37:50 – 13.46km/hr
18th March, 2014: 22kms from Kindaruma road (office) to the house in 1:40:22 – 13.14km/hr
16th March, 2014: 33kms – Innercore to City Mortuary route in 2:24:29 – 13.68km/hr
The Kangundo rolling hills really game my legs a resounding beating, I did struggle in the last two kilometers. After the run I even wondered whether I would be able to do a simple jog the following day. Walking was such an activity, running was unthinkable...it would be an event!
I tried to rest my legs most of the day on Saturday 22nd but failed to go to bed as early as I had anticipated. 


23rd March, 2014: I woke up at 5:30am deprived of sleep. Simply putting my feet on the floor is a struggle. My feet don’t feel alive as they always feel. Walk on my toes; do some simple warm-up but nothing changes. I decide to hit the road and hope that to complete my much anticipated 26kms.
The speed is slower than ever and Upper Hill doesn’t hold back on me (5’44”!) – It gives my legs quite a stretch. I can’t properly pace up and after Nyayo Stadium into Industrial Area; I begin losing control of my legs. After the 15th km, I am losing my rhythm and I can’t maintain the same tempo even on an even surface. My feet keep knocking each other on the inner ankle and I try to toughen up to no avail and I know if I keep up with this I might fall.
My stomach is burning, I am so thirsty yet the weather is perfect for a PR…a little cold with a welcoming breeze. On the 18th kilometer, I found myself immobile and bereft of energy. I am staggering in my walk coz I can’t properly co-ordinate my legs. I stop at about a kilometer to Likoni road - a total of about 7kms to my house….damn, that’s a long way home. I cover the distance between Likoni road to Mareba (Lunga Lunga) in about half an hour (2kms) and all the while my eyes kept squinting into any stall hoping to see a soft drinks, water or any consumable vendor, I was desperate!. I check my watch and it 8:34am with 5kms to go and just right ahead I see a kiosk opposite the NHIF building. I gather all the energy left and make a mad rush towards it.

I buy a sold which I gulp so quickly and I only pause after chocking and coughing. I get some energy back and I try to run walk but my legs can’t have it any longer. I flag down an oncoming matatu without second thoughts because I knew there was no point hanging on the road if I can barely walk. While in the car I get some time off to clear my head and reflect on what the elite runners must have gone through to get to where they are…boy, I really took a hard road this time round and hard is what makes it interesting. What is life without a good challenge anyway?!
Some inner voice told me that "at any moment, you have the POWER to say - This is NOT how my story is going to END"
I alight at Donholm and drain the last drops of my drink…I seemed to have even forgotten I had it coz I was lost in thoughts while I was in the matatu. The remaining two kilometers to the house equally seemed longer than I had anticipated. I know I am on the right road because it’s tough, the easy routes always lead to nowhere so I will stick to this hard road while it still lasts and make it my entertainment spot.
I ran a measly 18.8km and yet this is a 90km week – this is gonna be a hard, tough and long week. Welcome to the grind!

4 comments:

Running Writer said...

Good work. Start working on your adductor muscles - they are the ones that got injured for me. A sign that they are weak is your feet knocking against each other and poor coordination when you are completely exhausted. I believe 5 mins a week is enough. Avoid what I went through. I think what happens is when your quads and hammies are gone for broke, the adductors are recruited to do what they dont usually do and if they are weak, they can get torn/injured.

Unknown said...

Wow! lemmi research on how to put the adductor muscles to work...videos on adductor muscles exercise must be available somewhere - lemmi get to it.

Running Writer said...

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/hip-strengthening-for-runners/
The above explains but for me, the following three exercises have been the most beneficial.
1. Adductor squeezes (I use clothes tied into a ball) - I still have some slight pain when I do this - proof that my injury hasn't healed 100%.
2. Leg Scissors while lying on your back. This one strengthens and stretches at the same time.
3. Adductor raises (see pdf below)
http://www.sld.cu/galerias/pdf/sitios/rehabilitacion-ejer/adductor_1.pdf

Unknown said...

Thanks for this - lemmi get down to it!